Posts tagged politics
Posts tagged politics
February 6th, 2012
In one of the most shamefully disingenuous reports we’ve seen in years, the US Labor Department released the latest employment figures on Friday showing that the headline US unemployment rate had fallen to 8.3%.
Champagne and sound bites were pre-positioned in Washington as the self-congratulatory praise flowed like the bubbly. President Obama, beaming like he’d just caught the winning touchdown pass, told the American people on Sunday that he ‘deserved’ a second term.
They call it the headline unemployment rate for a reason… it’s the only number that the papers tend to run. All weekend long, mainstream press ran headlines like:
“Unemployment rate falls to 8.3%; fifth straight monthly decline” (LA Times)
“Jobless rate drops to lowest level in almost three years” (MSNBC.com)
“Unemployment rate drops to 8.3 percent” (Christian Science Monitor)
“Hiring surges in January; jobless rate at 8.3 pct.” (Atlanta Journal Constitution)
“Jobless Rate Falls to 8.3%, Altering Face of Campaign” (New York Times)
“Unemployment report: January job gains have economists rethinking outlooks” (Washington Post)
Needless to say, few outlets with any meaningful reach covered the real story behind the employment figures– the Labor Department simply took 1.2 million Americans out of the labor force. In other words, the unemployment rate fell because the Labor Department deliberately did not count 1.2 million unemployed people.
[Note: I highly recommend that you read ZeroHedge.com, one of the only sources of undistorted economic reality on the Internet.]
It’s the same Orwellian style logic (WAR IS PEACE. DEBT IS WEALTH.) that prevailed during the Soviet Union– outright lies and deceitful reports painting a rosy picture of the economy and its glorious leaders, masking a dismal reality. It’s nothing but propaganda in the worst form.
This has been going on for years in the United States, as evidenced by the chart below:
“We’re No. 1.”
Dangers of tweeting: Homeland Security butchering the Queen’s English.
The British couple, shown below in a photo via ABC, got in trouble for a slangy use of the word “destroy” in a Tweet. The ABC account says:“Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America,” one of the tweets read. Bryan told The Sun [in England] that in this context “destroy” just meant party.
“The Homeland Security agents were treating me like some kind of terrorist. I kept saying they had got the wrong meaning from my tweet but they just told me ‘You’ve really f***ed up with that tweet, boy’,” Bryan told The Sun.
BREAKING: Bradley Manning WILL be sent to a military tribunal for a court martial
The commander of the Military District of Washington has ordered a court-martial for Pfc. Bradley E. Manning, the former intelligence analyst accused of giving hundreds of thousands of classified documents to the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks.
Maj. Gen. Michael S. Linnington made the decision Friday after reviewing testimony and arguments from a preliminary hearing at Fort Meade in December, officials said.
There was no word on whether the as-yet-unscheduled court-martial would also be held at Fort Meade, one of three installations within the military district equipped to host such a proceeding.
Manning, 24, is charged with aiding the enemy and violating the Espionage Act. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.
During his detention, his case became a cause celebre among anti-war activists, who say the footage of the 2007 Apache helicopter attack that he is alleged to have released appears to show evidence of a war crime.
The attack in Baghdad left 12 dead, including a Reuters journalist and his driver. In the video, released by WikiLeaks as “Collateral Murder,” the American helicopter crew can be heard laughing and referring to Iraqis as “dead bastards.”
Manning’s supporters say whoever released the footage is a hero who should be protected as a whistle-blower.
More than 100 people were reported to have been killed yesterday in the Syrian city of Homs as security forces continued their efforts to take back opposition-held areas on the eve of a vote by the UN security council on a much-disputed resolution on the country.
Hundreds more were killed in shelling of the city, according to the the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which cited witnesses.
“At least 105 people were killed in a massacre in the Khalidya district of Homs, including women and children,” said Rami Abdulrahman, the head of the campaign group.
John Steinbeck, East of Eden (via theprospectofvanishingforever)
Iran warns of retaliation as nuclear tension rises
Published on Feb 3, 2012 by Euronews
Iran has sent a satellite into orbit and a message to the world to mark 33 years since its Islamic Revolution.
Officially, the satellite will provide data on the weather. The West fears Iran’s space and nuclear programmes have military aims.
In Tehran, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei spoke in Arabic, apparently to address the wider region.
“Don’t trust the US or NATO because they don’t care about your interests or your countries,” he said.
- 2/1/2012 - The neocon Bipartisan Policy Center calls on the US do ”whatever it takes” to stop a nuclear Iran: ”Iran could develop nuclear weapons capability in 2012.”
- 1/31/2012 - US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper announced that “Iranian officials… are now more willing to conduct an attack in the United States”
- 1/31/2012 - Israeli President Shimon Peres: ”Iran’s “evil” leaders cannot be allowed to obtain nuclear weapons”
- 1/29/2012 - Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak warned ”time was running out” for an attack on Iran.
- 1/28/2012 - Pentagon Seeks Mightier ’Bunker Buster’ Bomb vs. Iran
- 1/27/2012 - The largest-ever joint military exercise with the United States and Israel scheduled.
- 1/26/2012 - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: “They have this excuse that Iran is dodging negotiations while it is not the case.”
- 1/11/2012 - Iran Accuses Israel, US of Assassinating Nuclear Scientist
- 12/31/2011 - Obama Signs New Iran Sanctions Into Law
- 12/27/11 - Iran Threatens to Stop Gulf Oil If Sanctions Widened
- 12/4/2011 - Iran Military Shoots Down US Drone: State TV
- 11/21/2011 - The Obama administration declared the Islamic Republic of Iran a “primary money laundering concern”
- 11/6/2011 - Israel’s Peres Warns Attack on Iran Getting ‘Closer’
- 11/5/2011 - US Military Official: We Are Concerned Israel Will Not Warn Us Before Iran Attack
- 11/29/10: Wikileaks cables reveal that the Saudi King is urging the U.S. to attack Iran